Yield: 12 scones
Tools: mixing bowl, parchment paper
2 cups all purpose flour (or half whole wheat)
1/3 cup sugar (omit for savoury scones)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/4 cups heavy cream, plus a bit for brushing
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1 tbsp. lemon juice
1. Heat oven to 350F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix first four dry ingredients in bowl.
3. Blend in dried fruit, spices and zest (or savoury ingredients). Use fingers to ensure fruit is well distributed in mixture.
4. Mix lemon juice and cream in another bowl.
5. Make a well in dry ingredients and pour in cream mixture. Use fingertips to blend together; you should end up with a ball of dough that holds well together.
6. Turn dough out onto a floured counter and form into two disks of equal size, and pat down to about 1" thickness. (Avoid using a rolling pin as this toughens the dough and scones will be dry!)
7. Cut each disk into 6 wedges (like a pizza) and place on prepared baking sheet.
8. Brush the tops of the scones with cream and sprinkle with raw sugar.
9. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until scones are well-puffed and golden.
10. Eat warm with butter and jam!